Sunday, December 28, 2014

Butterfly Headband

So. My sister and I decided that we are going to go to Coachella 2016! I am beyond excited and anticipating the advance sell tickets this spring. While I wait (a year and a half D: ) I decided to tap my inner bohemian flower child spirit, and start crafting jewelry to wear (I'm starting a one woman movement called #CraftingForCoachella). This first piece is a spin on the notorious flower headband worn at every hippie dippie music festival.  While I think flowers are necessary to be a "flower child," I like to be different and unique while still following the crowd haha.  When you Google butterfly symbolism, you will find a lot of places say they refer to the soul, as well as freedom and creativity.  So here is my free spirit headband.


Materials:
Headband ( I found this great rope/twine headband at hobby lobby.  I would use the less visible black plastic or wire headband, but my head is really big and I get instant headaches from wearing those lol)
Butterflies
Optional: hot glue gun


Instructions:

I found these butterflies near the garden section of the craft store, and they come attached to a thin wire.  They are feathered and have a nice flapping motion when the fan, or wind, blows on them.
 

Whether you are using a solid headband or a braided one, like mine, all you do to attach the butterflies is wrap them around (or through) the headband.  Then twist and tie the wire up until you're satisfied with the level of security haha and trim off any excess wire. I like to make them different lengths to give them the flying away look.  A few of them did fall off of the attached wire (this is where the glue gun comes in).

 
If you have any gaps on the headband, these would be good spots to hot glue the wireless butterflies.
 

 
I placed a piece of cardboard (from the butterfly package) between my leg and the headband to prevent burning my leg while attaching the butterflies in the empty spaces.
 
 

 
Remember, since they are attached to a wire you can always bend them and change the shape once attached.
Now you have a beautiful crown of butterflies swirling above your head Soul Sista ;)

Peace Out
Adrienne J


No comments:

Post a Comment