Saturday, April 21, 2012

Jigsaw Pillow

My current obsession is pillow making.  I've made one pillow case before when i was little, using leftover cloth from my sister's science fair project.  So I pretty much know how the whole sewing thing works. A kid can do it. Not that hard. Anyways, I'm not quite done yet.  I just started last night and I have 2 more to make in  order to finish the "picture/puzzle." Here's what I've got so far.




Materials:
3 yards total of cloth (depending on how big you want the pillows)
pen/marker that doesn't bleed
yard stick
scissors
needle
thread
4 12oz bags of polyester pillow fill


Instructions:

Draw up a sketch of what shapes you want each "puzzle piece" to be on a scrap piece of paper to help you keep track and have pieces that fit together.  Then fold your fabric in half (so you have the front and back of pillowcase aligned) and lay out flat, use the yard stick to measure out equal sections of fabric, and then outline the shapes you had decided on.


Once you have your shapes marked, cut them out. Then fold in the edges (so you don't have stringy edges) and sew 3/4 of the case. 


Then get some of the poly fill and stuff the pillow. Once you have enough stuffing in there, sew up the last part of the case and that's it!

 
Repeat for all cases.

It may seem/seam (haha pun) like a lot but it's really not.  The hardest part was picking out the fabric.  It is pretty time consuming though, prepare to spend a few hours (unless you're a master sewer).

Adrienne J.

P.S. I'll add a few more pictures when I get home of the finished product and some of the materials needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment